Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hopeless

They say the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Apparently, as I recently discovered, this saying holds true for women too.

Conviction struck me with blunt force several weeks ago; unfortunately (or fortunately?), the brunt of it landed in my closet. Yes, indeed, it was time for my clothing to receive a major overhaul. Although I knew my clothes didn't really portray the changes Christ was making in my heart, I hadn't spent much effort on changing this fact. That is, until now.

"Now what am I going to wear?!" I complained to my sister after trying on the third outfit that morning. "Definitely not THAT," she quickly replied. "It's waaaay to short." Although I had already spent the week discarding my less-than-modest outfits, a few more were discovered hanging on to my closet rack for dear life that Sabbath morn'. Finally, after much exertion, I settled on a perfectly boring dress that was entirely modest. Even though I felt like a spinster, I wore it with a smile knowing that it put my convictions at ease. That is, until I tried to kneel for the congregational prayer...

In one swift move, the back of my dress snagged onto the edge of my chair as I slipped off my chair to pray. Before I could gracefully redeem myself, my dress had lifted itself far above my comfort zone - to say the least! My mortification rose during prayer when I stole a glance (yes, I rose to THAT level of heathenism) to see if anyone was behind me and had witnessed such a humiliating scene. My fingers are still crossed in hopes that the random guy behind me had fallen asleep before prayer...

So what's the moral to this story? I don't know! My best intentions fell completely flat. The only thing left to do is ask yet again: "Now what AM I going to wear??!"

3 comments:

  1. Poor guy probably lost all faith in young people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clothing mishaps are bound to happen to us all -- especially when working with children! After all, God's original plan for us was not to be encumbered by the type of clothing we now wear, but to be covered in robes of light. Rest assured you are doing the right thing by updating your wardrobe. You'll feel like a spinster for awhile (I know I did). Do a little experimenting and you will find clothing that is both modest and stylish.

    As for the incident in church, you probably gave God a much needed chuckle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll tell you this comment in person. Story for another time. lol

    ReplyDelete