Sunday, April 11, 2010

Disaster in the Making


It couldn't have been a more perfect day: three friends, Sugarbowl Ski Resort, fresh powder, warm sunshine, snowboards, and a whole lot of inexperience.

After our not-so-graceful dismount from the ski lift, Dawn, Dez, and I sat at the top of a bunny-slope - or so we thought. We quickly realized our dreadful mistake; this was NOT a bunny slope and it was all downhill from here (in more ways than one). You see, we had never been snowboarding before (Dez and I had never even been to a ski resort), we've never had lessons, and we refused to go with any of our experienced snowboarding friends. "Why?" you may wonder. Well, basically, we didn't want to be humiliated on camera! So we three klutzes bonded together to conquer the mountain by ourselves. Unfortunately for me, I soon learned that pride really does go before a fall....

The next thirty minutes were spent watching others snowboard and trying to figure out how we ourselves could do the same since we had yet to even conquer the first step - standing up. I finally stated, with all the courage I could muster: "Well, I saw this snowboarding video on YouTube last night and they said...." The rest is history.

Dez quickly caught on to this harrowing sport. Dawn and I, on the other hand....well, let's just say it didn't come naturally. I finally figured out how to pull myself up on the board and take off down the hill. The only problem was, we didn't know how to slow down or stop. Thus, once I got up on the board, there was no stopping me! As Dez likes to say, "Carissa was head over heels for this sport! Literally." While going full-speed down the hill, my attempt to slow down ended up in a disastrous crash. After landing full-force on the back of my head, I lay dazed on the ground as a migraine and nausea washed over me. I quickly thought, "Okay, what's my name? Where am I? Who's the president?" Since I was coherent enough to think of these questions, I decided I would probably live to tell of this experience

My trip to the emergency room confirmed my suspicions: concussion and whiplash. The next four and a half weeks included nearly three weeks of bedrest, and nearly constant migraines, nausea, motion sickness, and ginger ale (one of the few things I could stomach). Today, six weeks later, I am very glad to be feeling human again! I have so much to be thankful for; including a family who rearranged their schedules to drive me to school/work and read my homework to me, friends who prayed for me, a greater appreciation of life, and loose-fitting clothes! (I lost two dress sizes). Most importantly, this experience has seriously strengthened my faith; I never felt discouraged because I KNEW God was using this experience to change my character (which could use a good overhaul every now and again) and make me a ton more empathetic towards others who are suffering! Truly, God works all things together for good (Romans 8:28).

But just in case you were wondering, I've decided that my next snowboarding attempt won't be until heaven. I think it's safest that way. :o)

1 comment:

  1. That's to bad that your next snowboarding adventure would be in heaven... :)

    ReplyDelete